You know those songs that you either loved or hated during graduation season in high school. The one’s you always hear and can’t get out of your damn head? Well I took the honor of compiling a short list of my favorites, just in case you needed a reminder. Graduation is here, folks. We’re going into the real world now. And that means you get to listen to some of the most overplayed tunes in the entire history of pop music. Get used to it!
1. Oh, yes. You HAVE to start the list with this one. Thanks so much Vitamin C for giving us the most cliche song about graduation of all time. We’ll always remember you for this.
2. Good ‘ol Green Day took a step away from their three-cord head-boppers to deliver us this nostalgia-ridden anthem. You’re gonna hear this one just a few more times before you throw that cap and gown in the closet for good.
3. So here’s how this one got on the list. It was 8th grade graduation. I remember it like it was yesterday. Whoever had the bright idea to soundtrack the memorial of our most awkward years with this tune was a genius of comedy. Seriously, there were nothing but laughs to be had at this one. I think even the parents couldn’t help rolling their eyes.
4. Fist pumpers everywhere rejoice! Your anthem made the list. Whether you have seen The Breakfast Club a million times or just have a hankering for 80’s anthems, you can’t deny this song’s graduation theme status. It’s a classic.
5. Last but certainly not least, we’ve got the big one. “Forever Young,” whether in it’s original Alphaville 80’s form or Jay Z’s eternally played rendition, is the official graduation song for life. I think I might count how many times I hear this one throughout the week.
Whatever you end up swaying to with your pals this graduation season, just remember that you can count on them sticking around forever–IN YOUR EFFING HEAD. Congrats grads!